Monday, June 25, 2012

Vista

Lisa, the girls and I spent some time on a pub crawl in Vista, California this weekend.  I am continually impressed with the quality of the breweries here in San Diego.  I am fascinated with the "tasting room" business model and love the additon of the food trucks to make food available.  I am amazed that this hasn't caused a full-on "beer revolution" in this country.  The reduced overhead costs associated with starting a brewpub make it possible for any talented brewer to get something off the ground.  Why are there so many talented brewers in San Diego?  Maybe it just feeds itself.  People work in one brewery, learn the trade and then move on to a new brewery.  From what I have read about Portland this kind of thing happens where one brewer or owner ends up having been involved in 4 or 5 breweries over a decade or two.  I am pretty excited to give it a try myself. 

So anyway, we went to Latitude 33 Brewing, Iron Fist, Backstreet Brewery and Mother Earth.  Backstreet was mediocre but the pizza was good and it was the only restaurant or "brewpub" of the bunch.  I think I enjoyed being at Latitude 33 the most.  It was a little quieter and felt more laid back.  Mother Earth was the grand opening of the new facility so it is tough to judge based on Saturday.  Iron Fist was enjoyable but was just a beat off for me for some reason.  Backstreet has the look about it of a place that will soon be a "former brewpub" if they don't change something. 

Anyway, the WOD for Monday June 25:

50-40-30-20-10
Box Jumps
Air Squats

Since Monday is mostly over I suppose you might be able to do it Tuesday

7 comments:

  1. I intend to go back and do these workouts when I don't have a babysitter and gym time so easily accessible. I can say now that this one will hurt.

    For now...

    Friday
    4-3-2-1 min each
    Sled drag
    Sled pull
    Tire carry
    Row

    It may have been the first time I've done 40 straight minutes of work.

    Sunday I swam a mile.

    I'm off to the gym now to see what my pain of the day will be...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend just moved from San Diego back out here and he said the same thing about the brewpubs out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today.

    Deadlift work

    21-15-9
    Kb squats
    Double unders (84-60-36 singles)
    Burpees

    12 min max

    I finished in about 10...

    ReplyDelete
  4. They have you do 4:1 singles, huh? I have been making people do 3:1 but that was just the Iron Major ratio. I should check to make sure I am doing the same dance as everyone else. Or does it matter? They do what I tell them to do, right? That sounds mean, but that isn't how it is intended. If I think two is too few and 4 is too many I get to say 3. If I think that folks are dogging it by doing three singles and want to try and "encourage" Double Unders then I can go 4 or even 5. I guess you have to be careful to not paint in too broad of strokes as we get people of varying ages and ability levels. When you say "Deadlift work" I am guessing you meant technique and mechanics with light to moderate loads? I am hoping to get in some "max load deadlifts" this week. My hamstrings feel strong and after a front squat PR last week I think deadlifts are the next number to fall as it was set in December and tied in April. I need to go back into the "press" series as well as my "shoulder numbers" are way down from where they should be.

    Good work Jenn. I am very happy that you found a "home" even if it is temporary.

    Kevin. . . what if I give you a WOD that you can make everyone do for the reunion event in about a month? Of course I won't be there to coach form though. Sign me up for leading a workout for the masses at one of the future events!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 14:53 for the box jumps and squats

    This morning:

    3 Rounds for Time
    10 reps from the ground to overhead 95#
    Run 200 meters
    6:21

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, technique for the deadlift. Starting at 65# and moving up by 5 pounds per round, 5 rounds of 5 each.

    Today we did 3 rounds or 30 min max
    800m run
    30 Squat clean dumbbells 10# (or do I mean 20# because I had two of them?)
    30 burpees

    I made it to the 3rd run

    I've made huge improvements these past few weeks and I can't wait to figure out how to make this seriously work for me when we get home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenn, this warmed my heart: "I've made huge improvements these past few weeks and I can't wait to figure out how to make this seriously work for me when we get home."

    Good stuff.

    One thing that I have learned about Crossfit is that the more you do it the more you want to do it. You don't realize what you miss by not being involved in a community setting of Crossfitter until you go "solo" for a while and then return to a community. At least in my case, when I am around others I am absolutely DRIVEN to succeed/improve/perform at my highest level. Key word: my. Not "the" highest level, just "my" highest level. I find myself in the "too old" to be one of the young guys and "too young" to be in the "Masters" crowd. All I can do is work to improve myself.

    ReplyDelete