Friday, April 27, 2012

Trestles

This was the name of the beer I tried tonight.  An average to slightly above average IPA from Left Coast Brewing in San Clemente.  The idea behind their name is that it is an "escape" beer.  Get away to the "special" place. 

I thought of how I used to ride the train back and forth between Erie, Pennsylvania and Pittsfield, Massachusetts during short breaks from college.  Typically that meant November and March.  I was able to watch the countryside roll past as the last of the leaves were falling and then again as the snow was melting and buds were starting to form on those same trees.  I used to look forward to those train rides.  I met a lot of interesting characters over 4 years.  Train buffs or elderly that never bought into air travel, they all had a story to tell.  There were others, but they tended to be more mainstream and could have been any one of us. 

In the years since then most of my train rides (except for one through Amish Country in PA and one through the Manassas area of VA) have been on public transportation.  Atlanta, Washington D.C., Minneapolis, San Diego, Chicago and Boston.  They are all interesting places and those I rode the most have left images of the passing neighborhoods burned into my memory.  Especially the train in Minneapolis.  Countless trips and romanticized images of neighborhoods that many simply call "home." 

So that is my takeaway.  My life has taken me from one place to another.  The train takes us from one place to another.  It takes us from start to finish.  All of the stops and images along the way are the things that make it special.  The people we meet add the flavor.  For some people the places we pass are the start or the end.  They are someone's "escape."  When it is our own story, those places are simply part of the journey. 

The WOD:

Deadlift 1-1-1-1-1
then
10 Minute AMRAP (As Many Rounds as Possible)
20 Lunges
10 Pushups
20 Situps

I know I typically don't give workouts for the weekend, but I didn't prescribe anything for a few days this week.  Take your medicine!
 

4 comments:

  1. Weekend? Who has weekends? Not me! Not for another month or so.

    AM Saturday, 28 April 2012

    TABATA
    Pullups: 6 assist
    Pushups: Full
    Back extensions: These REALLY hurt
    Dips: These hurt, too.

    Total score--because I can't remember my individual ones: 35.

    *61 burpees

    *10 mins walking on treadmill, uphill!

    Today was the change of command for our Italian counterparts. They had a crazy spread for "lunch" around 1000. THERE WAS A PROSCIUTTO TREE WITH A FLAME ON TOP! Yeah, these Italians know how to throw a party. I'm still reeling from "lunch" and it's almost 1500. . . .

    Another WOD this afternoon, plus running with Phil and Carl. Nice. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. deadlift 225-275-305-325F-305-315

    AMRAP 7 Rounds in 9:58 but couldn't stand up from situps fast enough to get another lunge or two in.

    Lunges were the slowdown as the concrete is killer on the knees when you try to go fast. Decent workload of 140 lunges, 70 pushups and 140 situps in the 10 minute limit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to mention I had a little bourbon after church. I don't think it had an effect, but it is probably worth noting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For today I did Max Reps in two minutes of 4 different movements. Overhead Squats, Cleans, Sumo-deadlift high-pull and pushups. One minute rest in between each movement.

    OHS@75#-27
    Cleans@75#--32
    SDHP@75#--34
    Pushup--60

    ReplyDelete