Sunday, January 29, 2012

Functional Fitness

So today the girls and I went for a hike with the Gibson family at Black Mountain Nature Preserve.  The hike wasn't all that taxing, but I had all the water and snacks and had to carry Tessie a good deal of the way.  It was a nice rest day activity.  We hiked to a little waterfall on a stream that I am now driven to find out where the water comes from since it is so dry here.  We were having snack time and enjoying the view when Jim mentioned that the view from the other side was very good.  Making it across the stream by myself would have been a cinch.  Helping the three children across was a little more challenging. 

We all managed to stay mostly dry, but there was a definite point as I stood straddling a pretty good flow of water with each foot planted on a rock when I thought to myself "boy am I glad that I keep my body ready to do this kind of stuff."  I had to make a jump at one point that was a decent challenge as I had to jump off the bank, then spring off the angled side of a rock with one foot and jump again to avoid falling in the water.  I was able to do this with Tessie in my arms.  Probably ill-advised, but still, I made it!  At various points I was hoisting kids, swinging kids, jumping with kids, carrying kids. . . all so they could see "cool stuff." 

This is why. 

The WOD today:

100 Inverted Burpees

I know that Lisa and Stephanie have already done this. . . I am sure there is something you can make up.  An inverted burpee is when you start lying on the ground.  Bring your feet back over your head and rock forward.  If you can land on your feet, great.  Then go into a handstand against the wall.  From flat on your back to handstand is one rep. 

Go!

2 comments:

  1. Well, I have a wall. I guess I will be working out tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 26:19 The first half was slower than the second half as I struggled to kick up at the beginning and found myself kicking three times on some reps. It caused me to sweat just about as much as I remembered. 13:35 for the first 50 and 12:44 for the second 50 once I got a rhythm going. I forgot how much this works your core. Between the sort of situp motion and then stabilizing in the handstand you tighten that midsection a lot. I will have to see if I can find my time for the last time I did this. I thought it was 23 so I am getting old and slow I guess. I also had the advantage of a wall that I wasn't afraid I would kick through the last time. I wasn't so aggressive kicking up today against the drywall in the garage. Once or twice I thought I broke it. I do know that I will need to wash or paint to remove the footprints at some point.

    If I can recover properly I will look to do another WOD later. Ione is home sick from school today. She came into our room and was burning up around 3 AM. Then she dry heaved a bit. No schoo for her today. She is listless and sleeping. I just hope Tessie doesn't catch it. Gwen should be safe away at school.

    Illness means no gym for me today.

    ReplyDelete