Friday, January 6, 2012

January 7, 2012

I will get to the WODs for January 7 in a minute.  Today, January 6, was a banner for the guy who is "beering" and "belling" and writing this here blog post.  I made up one of the WODs from the weekend I did my Crossfit Kids Certification. 

I transferred the Munich Dark that I have fermenting into the secondary fermenter.  I brewed up the San Francisco Steam beer I have been wanting to make.  My Riesling grape juice from Washington state arrived today so I can make the wine to match our address.  I also got confirmation that my malbec grape juice from Argentina is coming tomorrow.  When it rains it pours, right? 

I mopped the floors in the kitchen and dining areas tonight.  Once the floor is dry enough I will fetch a Double Stout from Green Flash Brewing.  I remember liking it a great deal when at the brewery and when I saw it in the store I couldn't resist. 

I am not sure how I will do posting next week.  Jonny and I are taking the girls to Joshua Tree National Park and then the rest of the boys arrive.  I will do my best. 

For tomorrow:

First of all I am attending the 30 Day Paleo Challenge workshop at Total Crossfit in Poway.  They are having a "pre-workshop" WOD at 9 AM so I am on that.  I am not sure how I will mix paleo and beer yet. . . if I am not totally wiped out when I come home I will do these WODs as well.

40-30-20-10
Walking forward lunge
Pushups
Walking backward lunge
Situps

That is actually a bodyweight WOD, but here is another bodyweight WOD I programmed for Jonny to make sure to ease into this whole Crossfit thing and keep it fun rather than daunting:

7 Minute AMRAP (As Many Rounds As Possible)
15 Box Jumps
10 Pushups

Only 7 minutes, right?  Have fun!

6 comments:

  1. I am not sure if I told you already, but I am making all of these guys lift weights when they are here. Seriously, who wouldn't want to throw heavy objects around in a group?

    ReplyDelete
  2. three days, and in reality, I am sore. Abdominal muscles are burning, arms are sore, legs feel fantastic. I noticed just a couple of simple routine tasks at work were a great deal easier just by doing a couple of days of this. Its kind of exciting getting back something, kind of like a tug-of-war with time. I feel better after a couple of days, knee is hurting a bit, but no complaints, it will get better.
    I have 3 hours of work left, and then an adventure filled 12 days. Vacation, it used to be just a bit of time to do nothing when I was younger, but now as I get older it is vital to my soul, so I need to get much out of it.
    Its funny, I feel like a little kid again, getting all amped up to go someplace new. I am reading up on the local reptile scene in Joshua Tree National Park, and I am excited to see big, wild lizards and snakes. Maybe even scramble up some rock piles as well, who knows.
    Starting at the butterfly sanctuary in deerfield, ma. on sunday, then off to San Diego.
    The countdown is almost over Brother. I wish only for time to slow a little as my plane lands. This trip will be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, so the WOD before the Paleo workshop was a team WOD
    400 Air Squats
    200 Pushups
    60 Kettlebell swings
    60 Box Jumps
    60 Wall Balls
    Run 800 meters

    My teammate and I were in 28:16. Drew asked me to partner with "the new guy" that just joined his gym Thursday.

    So my share of the work was 240 of the 400 squats, 130 of the 200 pushups, 40 of the 60 KBS, 40 of the 60 Box Jumps, 42 of the 60 wallballs. For the run my partner was toast so we actually walked most of it. Good workout.

    The workshop was great. Simple but great. Some chiropractic doctor from Poway did the lecture. He is a Crossfitter and has been paleo for 6 years. The girls dug the apples, bananas, blueberries, walnuts and almonds for snacks. When we came home I made steak and asparagus for lunch. Gwen made a fruit salad. She did a great job. She was paying enough attention to drill me with all kinds of questions after. She put banana, pears, apples, blueberries, strawberries, clementines, and I think that is it in the fruit salad which we all had as our carb with lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 4 rounds in 7 minutes.
    a grand total of...
    60 box jumps,
    40 pushups.
    On a side note, I modified my push ups onto a cinder block so I could get more reps in (about 1 foot total), still ran into muscle failure, but I got more out of it cardiovascular wise. Feels freaking awesome, maybe just getting the cobwebs out helps too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sought out clarification on my recent question regarding the "deadlift ladders." I added pushups to keep moving. To do the solo DL ladder it would have been 1 the first minute, 2 the second and so forth up to 10 and then down again. That would be 19 minutes and 100 reps. Just for the future. Now that I have clarified this expect some sort of ladder to pop up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sunday, 8 Jan 12

    I was "off" this morning but even though it was a rest day for me, I had the time so I got in a WOD.

    40-30-20-10
    Walking lunges, fwd
    Pushups: Full
    Walking lunges, reverse
    Situps: AbMat

    Good workout for me. That first 40 walking lunges BURNED. (And so did my ass in the shower--curses to AbMat chafing.)

    I'm trying to get my young, pudgy roommate to join me. We'll see if I am successful.

    Jonny: Enjoy the trip. I hope you guys have a great time. I think the girls will dig seeing Joshua Tree through the eyes of there Uncle Jonny. I would see and point out a lizard, but I think you'll be able to take the learning something new piece to a new level.

    G: The Paleo Workshop sounded super exciting and fun. Crazy how we keep getting deeper and deeper into this world/network and loving it. Please tell Gwen how proud I am of her for the fruit salad. One of my favorite things to do with her is work in the kitchen. When she works independently yet alongside me, I just love it. It reminds me of working with my mom. And fruit salad always reminds me of Grammy.

    ReplyDelete