Tuesday, January 31, 2012

February 1, 2012

New month.  How about some burpees? 

I am excited about watching "Atlas Shrugged" tonight.  I rented it with the "unlimited monthly" pass from Blockbuster.  Ditch some cable channels, make myself run to the video store for movies and it comes out as a win-win-win.  Money, exercise, entertainment. . . gains on all three.

I opened a bottle of carmenere from some winery in Chile that I can't pronounce the name and don't care to type it.  Modestly priced so only average.  Good enough for drinking alone. 

So the WOD to break in February requires no special equipment so everyone can do it.

50 Burpees
Then Run as far as you can in 7 minutes. 

The clock on the run doesn't start until you start the run.  The burpees are their own special prize for breaking in the month.  I might head to the park for this one. . . I could do it from home and just note where I end up and clock it with the car.  At some point I think I might actually get one of those GPS watches.  I never really thought I needed one, but I bet I would get a lot more use out of it than a lot of people who own them.  For now my fitness dollars will be spent on bumper weights, GHD and a Concept 2 Rower eventually.  I will "old school" the distances.

I want to give everyone a little preview of our "Paleo Challenge."  We will start on February 6 (Monday following the Superbowl).  The way it works is simple.  You start each day with 7 points.  You lose one point for eating a food item off of the "forbidden list."  Legumes, grains, dairy, processed sugar, processed foods or alcohol.  That is only 6 foods so even if you totally blow it you get one point for the attempt.  You can also earn one point per day for completing the WOD (max of 5 points per week as you should be resting too).  You can also earn 1 bonus point for every night you sleep 8 hours.  You can earn 7 points per week for that.  So if you go perfectly for the week you can earn 49 for perfect eating.  5 for doing 5 WODs and 7 for sleeping 8 hours per night.  That makes the perfect score for a week 61.  Just like the Roger Maris homerun record.  We will asterisk* those juicers.  On the honor system I would like to track everyone each day as we go.  So when you post your WOD results give us your point totals for the days that have passed. 

Since I know that nothing motivates people like a prize I think that what I will do is give a gift of some piece of Crossfitting equipment to the person with the highest score.  Something basic like an ABMAT, kettlebell, shoes, maybe a Crossfit t-shirt.  We will have a consultation as to what you want/need.  I want to do this for at least 30 days.  I am thinking about stretching all the way out to Easter Sunday.  I would appreciate feedback from all of you on that.  That would be 62 days, but if you are serious about making a life change, why not?  I am going to go at it for the full 62 days.  I am competing too to keep it fun.  Besides I can think of all sorts of crap I would like to by myself.  Motivation, right? 

Don't worry however.  I think it might be impossible for me to sleep 8 hours unless I am drunk, but then I would have lost a point for drinking alcohol.  I am guessing I will lose 3-4 points a week on alcohol even on my best behavior.  It will be easier for some of you (pretty sure there is no alcohol in Afghanistan).  Processed foods will bite me once in a while with lunch meat.  It is just so quick and easy, I am sure to lose a couple there.  Sugar and grain are no problem.  Sunday I will basically forfeit.  If there is one lifestyle change I am not quite ready to make, it is my "free for all" Sunday.  I will eat, drink and be merry.  Then suffer through my Monday WOD. 

So there is a little teaser for you all.  February 6.  Circle it on the calendar.  Start scoring.  Just let me know if you are all in for the 62 day challenge.  I bet it would cover your lenten sacrifice.  I know I should be non-denominational but I also know that 100% of those who have posted on this blog to date are catholic, so I am okay. . . for now.

6 comments:

  1. G,

    It is going to take me awhile to process your game. I am guessing you might be the only person who actually participates. . . . All these rules are confusing and quite frankly I probably would make you keep track of my points if I were at home. Since I love you, I have printed your rules and will figure it out in the next few days. Since I love you, I will play your game. I'm going to sound like one of your Sports n That buddies by contesting one of your rules! I cannot drink here--that is NOT a good thing like you made it out to be! I haven't come up with any kind of give-and-take but I will. I'm thinking bonus points for not being able to drink and/or be in control of what is available to me. We will see. I need to dedicate some brainpower to this one. Curses! Like I have enough brainpower to spare. Ugh.

    I love you and all your rules. . . .

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't make the rules. I just decided to adopt the rules of most of the other Paleo challenges I have seen. If you want I can come up with another food to take away from you in place of alcohol. I got that from Well Fed. "You have a drink. Then your drink has a drink." The contention is that people make poor nutrition choices when drinking. I can see that. When I am locked on, alcohol doesn't affect my nutrition choices. When I am slacking it does.

    Anyway, let me know what you think. I am no dictator. I just tried to steal from other people's ideas. Take an idea from somewhere and make it your own somewhere else. That is the American way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was also thinking that it would be nice for everyone to set some goals. Either weight loss, weight gain, strenght gain, maybe do a benchmark WOD at the beginning and then again at the end. I actually want to do the benchmark WOD thing. If we do this for even a short period of time I think that the gains everyone would make on the WOD would be all the evidence they need to change their habits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made up the December 4th WOD today. Ione came home sick from school and while I could have taken them to the park and done today's WOD there, it didn't feel appropriate. Now Ione and Tessie are sleeping and I need to wake them up to go get Gwen. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I kind of, but not really, wish that the kids would get sick at the same time. Then if we didn't have to go to school we wouldn't have to go to school. This crap of dragging Ione to pick up Gwen as I did Monday and will have to do today is for the birds. Today will be tougher because Gwen doesn't know Ione came home unless she asks someone in the lunch room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. G,

    I reread the rules and they are fine. I just need time to digest. They look pretty reasonable--I was mostly just giving you shit!

    I do like the "benchmark" WOD. Stephanie actually asked if we could do the tabata (I can't remember the exact WOD, I would have to look) again before she leaves to see how she has improved. That girl gets it. AND she can rock some DUs.

    I understand your frustration with sick kids. Just think , if there were a bus system, it wouldn't be an issue. If it were 1980, you could just leave the girls asleep at the house. Hell, you could just let Gwen walk home. Times have changed.

    Love you!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete