Thursday, January 19, 2012

January 20, 2012

Okay, I am really finding the groove again.  Unfortunately we may be "down one community member" for a spell.  Jonny aggravated his already once surgically repaired knee while he was out here.  It was NOT done while doing Crossfit.  He tweaked running in a non-crossfit event and then aggravated it further playing disc golf and climbing around the rough terrain.  I am hoping that he is back on track with us quickly, but he was pretty gimpy when he left here.  He needs this to strengthen it up, but sometimes when you are hurt it is tough to motivate to do anything. 

For the rest of us, we will push on until he makes it back. 

Our WOD for Friday has two elements:

3 Reps Deadlift at 65#

 (if weights are not available a small child will do.  Remember to maintain lumbar curve and to keep your chest up.  You can grip a child by both ankles and both wrists and they think it is great fun and they serve as a fine piece of functional fitness equipment).  Please post "how this felt" with your comments.  My goal is to start building up everyone's deadlift, but I don't want to push you past your ability level.  We will start with 65 and will go up by 5 pounds each week.  We will do deadlifts one day per week in this format.  Once 3 reps is no longer possible at the given weight we will go back to 65# and 5 reps.  Once we find that 5 Rep Max we will return to 1 Rep Max and see if we improved over our previously measured 1 RM for Deadlift (we will).  I will sprinkle in the DL day each week on the day that I choose for reasons related to the work load of that particular week.  Next week we will also start a max Back squat series.  We will carry those two forward for a few months and then when our posterior chain and quads are sufficiently strengthened we will attack another area where we can improve.  This will become highly individualized so it is important to post results for this.  If you are limited by not having equipment, just say so and I will create another "project" that will improve your fitness over a two to three month period.  For instance, I am not going to begin my 3 rep DL at 65.  For me personally I will start my 3 reps and 5 reps at maybe 185.  Once we all "get the hang" of this strength project it will sort of manage itself.  I will explain how it works as we move forward.  Never fear however, there will still be deadlifts in the WODs and back squats will make an appearance as well.

then

Every Minute on the Minute (EMOTM) for 20 minutes
20 Air Squats

If you are working on Air Squats still or if you are screamingly sore after a previous squat workout then consider scaling to 10 per minute.  If possible you may be able to start with 20 and then reduce as necessary.  Track your total number overall as well as what minute you arrived on rep reduction.  Simple WOD, but not an easy WOD.  In that same spirit, I expect you will finish "happy, but not satisfied."

4 comments:

  1. In Jenn world, deadlift = squat, squat = squat. Thankfully my legs are nearly recovered and I will attack this workout. Tomorrow. After an easy run. (How dare I call what I do running!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch! I did all 20 minutes with 20 squats. I kept the pace at 25 seconds or less for every round. Around round 12 I started worrying about muscle failure. I pushed through it, but can barely sit, walk and climb stairs now. My deadlift 3 reps were done at 185. Rugged day, but I think I need to give the quads a couple days off now. I was going to do the lunge workout this afternoon from a few days ago. Not in the cards. The weekend is here, so I will do a park day and then a quick AM WOD before church on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I highly recommend scaling this down to maybe 10. If you are feeling it then go ahead and start at 20 and see what happens. 400 Squats crushed me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sunday, 22 Jan 12

    So Stephanie and I did this workout today. She made it through all 20 EVMOTM for 20 minutes; I did not! I got to the 10th round and then I bopped between 15-20 for the last ten rounds. Some rounds were better than others but most times my legs felt like Jell-O.

    ReplyDelete