Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Body For Life Meets Crossfit

There are two workout "programs" I have followed in my adult life.  The first was Body For Life.  I owe a lot to Body for Life.  It totally changed the way I viewed food and started on a road of lifelong fitness.  I began Body for Life at a robust 242 pounds and by the time I started to "ease up" I weighed 166.5 pounds.  75.5 pounds lost in a 17 month period.  Not too bad.  Amongst all of that I got hooked on running.  I started just running to exercise.  Lisa convinced me to run a 5K.  That was all it took.  After that I did 10K, Half Marathon and Triathlons.  After doing that for a little while Lisa convinced me I should do a Marathon.  I did one.  I thought that would be it.  Then I did two.  I loved it and met a guy out running one day who had run one in 24 different states and was chasing 50.  I thought to myself, "now that sounds like a cool goal."  I find myself now 12 states in and itching to knock out the states around me.  Amidst all that running I still did some lifting and other stuff.  Lisa mentioned that the Marines who were at Fort Leavenworth were going to start a "Crossfit class" with one of the trainers who was there.  So, at 6 AM every Monday, Wednesday and Friday I would drive down to the gym and learned to do Crossfit.  Eventually I started to go 5 days a week.  Then I realized I wasn't running as much so I started to run to the gym.  I would do long runs on Saturday mornings.  Lisa convinced it it would be swell to get certified as a Level 1 Trainer.  So I did that.  Crossfit Kids. . . did that too.  Lisa wanted a way for me to give her workouts while she was away.  Enter Beerbells.  So, thanks Lisa.

The other day I was reflecting on this journey.  I used to spend about an hour lifting weights on the Body For Life program.  I thought "how fast could I do that workout if I did it for time."  See, that is how Crossfit can change a person.  So we are going to find out.  I used to only do 5 exercises per session then, but this is Crossfit! 

12-10-8-6-12
Bench Press
Shoulder Press
Deadlift
Front Squat (Air squat if you want to)
Lunges (per side)
Situps (I am going to do GHD situps and you could do Knees to Elbows if you like)

So it is only 6 exercises and that is fair because I used to always do situps and pushups at the end of those workouts.  No pushups in this one today.  It will be plenty.  I am going to shoot for maybe 155 on Bench, 75 on Shoulder press, 225 on deadlift, probably use the 75 bar for front squats, maybe hold a 25 pound plate for lunges and then GHD situps.  This should be awesome.  I am hoping to convince my friend Jason to do this WOD with me.

6 comments:

  1. Thursday, 8 March 2012

    "Klepto"

    4 RFT

    27 Box jumps
    20 Burpees
    11 Squat cleans, L/Ca: 45#; Co: Lt bar + 20 kgs total

    Co: 24:27-ish
    Ca: 28:00
    L: 31: 48

    A friend of Colleen's sent her this WOD. It was created in honor of U.S. Air Force Major David "Klepto" L. Brodeur, 34, of Auburn, Massachusetts, assigned to the 11th Air Force, based at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska. He died on April 27, 2011 in Kabul, Afghanistan, of wounds sustained from gunfire from an Afghan military trainee. He is survived by his wife Susie, daughter Elizabeth, and son David.

    Green-on-Blue incidents have been a common occurence in the past month, especially. At one point--many points--during this WOD, I was so wiped, but all I could think of was that my body was ALIVE to do this WOD. Press on.

    Tomorrow, I WILL rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. G: Nice journey story. You are so nonchalant, so gracious, so strong. I love you, L

    ReplyDelete
  3. 9 March 2012

    Today, I rest. I will rest. I will rest. I will rest.

    Tomorrow, we will WOD with Kyle (Colleen's fiance) . . . if he gets here which is doubtful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa, REST!

    Next week is mine! (I have a live-in babysitter for a week. The kind that I can boss around. And he has a license to kill. I mean drive. I MAY hit the CF gym on post a few mornings!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenn: Who's your babysitter? Sounds like your baby brother! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yeah. It is my brother. I had 6 errands, plus one meal made for another family and a trip to the commissary done in the first eight hours he was here. That doesn't even include the every day stuff I got done. It is going to be good here this week!

    ReplyDelete