Friday, March 2, 2012

Weekend

Rest or make up WODs that you have missed.  If you didn't miss any and don't feel that you need two full days of rest then work on a "goat."  In other words do some skill work on something that you are either not very good at, or would like to be better at.  Double unders are often a goat.  Maybe try for 200 and see how many you can string together.  Perhaps it is muscle ups that you want to work on.  First work on being able to do 15 pullups and 15 dips unbroken and unassisted.  Then you can start working on the muscle up transition and developing that skill.  Handstand pushups, practice handstands.  Against the wall and then perhaps free-standing or walking.  The ability to control your core is the key to the handstand.  The pushup part is going to take shoulder strength and core strength.  Maybe some pike pushups to get an approximation of the movement.  Perhaps it is your flexibility that could use some work.  Do a mobility WOD.  You can find them on the internet or go to the "KStar" blog.  Stretch, work range of motion or whatever it is that you think you need. 

If all of the rest of that fails, then maybe do some reading on the Paleo diet or if you have a kitchen. . . cook something. 

By the way, I was reading the actual Paleo Diet book today and alcohol is allowed.  In moderation of course.  It is the "Whole 30" Paleo Challenge that nixes the alcohol.  I really should have thought this through more.  I will admit that what I read in "Well Fed" is very true though.  "You have a drink.  Then your drink has a drink.  Before you know you find yourself face first in a pile of cheese fries."  That is a little dramatic, but we can see the point.  I also KNOW that I have been dropping a majority of these pounds on the back of alcohol.  I am starting to get a little suspicious that alcohol slows the metabolism. 

On other notes, even though all 4 of us who attempted the 12 egg omelette challenge in January failed, I have been thinking that I could give it another go.  None of us realized that the home fries and biscuits would be there.  I was mentally defeated when they dropped it in front of me.  I ate a solid 2/3 of the meal however.  Each of us also failed to heed the advice of the server on how to go about eating it all.  Armed with that information and a new comfort level with the 7 pounds of food I am thinking of trying it again.  Last time we had sushi and beers the night before.  I wasn't even hungry when we sat down.  This time I am thinking of throwing it down the Saturday before Easter in a sort of homage to the "Kegs and Eggs Celebration" that won't be this year.  I think a key part is to have a "partner" doing the challenge with you.  My parents will be here.  I am thinking that coming off 9 weeks of paleo and then a Good Friday fast I will be primed to throw down 7 pounds of food on Saturday morning.  The only question is whether I can talk my father into trying it also.  I have Jonny already "on the hook" for a return trip to the Broken Yolk the next time he is in San Diego.  We are going to give it a go.  I am convinced that I can do it.  It is only food.  You just need to put it in your mouth and swallow it.  I am thinking some butter on the biscuits and ketchup on the homefries this time.  I was trying to avoid the excess calories last time.  Not now.  I just want it to taste good.  If it tastes good then I can eat it.  I will use the chili off the omellette to dress up those potatoes too.  This is all contingent on the paleo challenge not coming down to that last day however. 

Sounds like a cool plan, right?  I will make sure to take video.  Jonny has some that he should put on Facebook.

7 comments:

  1. Dude. Dudes. And Dudettes. REALLY. Why didn't we live as neighbors for longer than a few months?????? Spence is PLANNING on a very specific food challenge in Honolulu. He has been planning it since our days on Kansas Ave. He is just waiting for the right partner to visit.
    I think we are soul mate / couple friends. HAHAHAHA. (Spence probably came to that conclusion when he learned of your love of beer. But he would NEVER use the term soul mate.)
    That is why I love you guys. You fit with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saturday, 3 Mar 2012

    I took this morning off, but still I worked my ass off! When I have the time--and this morning I did--I like to work out. I push myself . . . HARD. Here's what I did today:

    -Standing & Balancing Yoga, Practice #6: 23 mins
    -Pullups, unassisted: 2-1-1-1-1-0
    -Chinups, unassisted: 3-2-1-1-1-1-1-0
    -Run: BFL intervals, 1.5 incline, 5.0-8.0 mph, 33 minutes, 3.3 miles. I needed Lady Gaga to get me through the 7.0-7.5-8.0 stretch!

    I am a little tired, a little sore, but it feels so good. . . .

    My friend Brian motivated me to try some pullups--I usually am too defeatist, but not today. Nice. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenn: I agree. I just hadn't said it. I miss you and I do regret the missed opportunities last year. But, know what? We are moving forward, growing, learning and sharing. And THAT is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sunday, 4 Mar 12

    10 Thrusters: L: 45#; Co: Lt bar + 20 kg; Ca: Lt bar + 40 kg
    20 SDHP: Same
    30 Front squats: Same
    40 KBS: 12#
    50 Pushups

    L: 10:15-ish; Co: 10:50-ish; Ca: 11:25 (I really should bring my book into work to capture these times. . . .)

    Before we started working out, Candis asked, "How many rounds?" Both Colleen and I were like, "ONE!"

    Good workout.

    And, TSgt Rice complimented me on my squat, "I wish I had your squat." Nice. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenn, I am in! I don't know what it is that Spence wants to eat, but I don't care. Cheez whiz, cabbage, chicken wings, headcheese. . . its all good if you are doing it for fun. I regret not doing the "juicy lucy" challenge in Minnesota. Two half pound juicy lucy burgers plus the french fries. I KNOW I could have done that. I didn't learn that it was available until my last night there and the young guy that had moved in next door and I drank about a case of beer and talked about all sorts of stupid stuff. As for when I KNEW that you guys fit with us it was probably when Spence and I started training for that Marathon. A few long runs and then he started to run to the gym with me in the mornings. From there we had "kegs and eggs," "Walmart poker," and "Brewvies" and just generally fun times. I could sit and say "it would have been great to. . . " but at the end of the day it was it was. We met each other and we have stayed in touch with one another. That doesn't speak of missed opportunities to me that speaks of opportunities yet to come. One thing that I know about myself is that I am a "doer." Not everything I do will be a good idea and some of it might not even be fun. But I will do and something will happen. That is the best part about life to me. . . there is no script that we have to follow it is "choose your own adventure." I will amend my statement. I am a "doer" six days a week. I am generally useless on Sundays unless there is Marathon or some competitive event. Sundays are usually summed up like this. . . stay up too late on Saturday drinking with Lisa and/or friends. Get up and make a "family breakfast." Go to church. Get a donut after church. Come home and promptly eat something that I would never allow myself to eat the other six days of the week. It usually involves chips, dip, cookies, cake, pizza, burgers and fries or some kind of monstrous meal. Sometimes it might be all of those things. Then I prefer to slip into a semi-coma watching sports of some sort on TV. I prefer baseball, football, NCAA basketball and NASCAR but I will resort to hockey, NBA, Golf, volleyball and heck even poker in a pinch. After pretending to watch TV but actually being in and out of a food coma I will usually rally just enough to help put some dinner on the table. Unless Lisa is here and does it for me. After dinner I will watch more sports or if the games are over I will watch the endless loop of the highlights. Even though it is the same every hour I don't care. When I am doing nothing I tend to do it with the intensity of an Olympian. So, it is this competitive spirit that I bring to life. I compete hard at everything. Eating included. Except for when doing nothing. Then I am ferocious in my focus to do nothing. We will get to Hawai'i and I will eat whatever it is. . . with a smile.

    On a side note, the back of the Zymurgy Magazine (Homebrewer's Association publication) has an advertisement for Beermeister kegerators. 1, 2 and 3 tappers. I picked up the ingredients to make three batches of beer today. I would like to keg one of them. I need to order some random stuff from Northern Brewer and plan to order the "next" beer I want to keg from there. It is an "India Pale Weizen." Sounds great and perfect for a California summer. Then I need to find a dark beer to keg. Three on tap. Then make a lager to lager. I just need to keep my momentum moving and not think about the cost.

    Lisa, you know that we have a lot of shit, right? That is nagging at me. Maybe we can just leave some of it here. I suppose we could always do a storage unit for a couple years until we "settle" somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also noticed that instant gratification is available. There are 5 gallons kegs at Ballast Point available for sale. Stone sells them too. I could get the kegerator and plunk those two in while I make mine. I just need to make sure that I have the right connections.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't get a storage unit. Get rid if all of it. Less to clean. Less to keep track of. Less chaos. Less is more.

    ReplyDelete