Saturday, March 24, 2012

Ireland

So Gwen's new friend at school moved here in January from Ireland.  I knew they were friends, but we hadn't done much about it.  I was a chaperone on the last field trip and so was her friend's mother.  She was pushing a stroller with her little one and ran into a snag when he wanted to walk and I offered to push the stroller.  She was very appreciative and we finally talked about the girls blossoming friendship.  So that was where Gwen was yesterday.  They invited her for a sleepover tonight.  I went to drop her off and her friend's father invited me in for a bit.  A bit turned into an evening.  Great fun and great people.  One of his coworkers was there too and between the 4 adults we finished 3 bottles of wine and a six pack of beer.  Needless to say I lost my paleo point for alcohol today. 

I had seen them at church once, but until the field trip I really hadn't had things fall into place with doing my part for Gwen.  Now things are great.  They are relaxed and fun people.  They very much fit with our personalities and I would even say that they take a page from the "free range parenting" made famous by Jenn.  The kids were mixing up bags of slime with soap, shampoo and toothpaste.  Instead of freaking out, the Dad just bought the bags of slime they were peddling.  He said "at least we know what they are doing."  Right on.  The girls were all dressed up in other clothes at one point, but nobody was worried.  They kept making food and serving drinks.  Great fun. 

So for the weekend.  Rest, make up WODs or if you must do something other than that try working on max loads for either deadlift or front squat.  If you don't feel comfortable with max load then work on your form.  Both of those lifts the mechanics are vitally important.  We do lots of metabolic conditioning but we haven't done much in our "power" category lately. 

I will probably do a make-up and also the strength.  You can either go with 1-1-1-1-1 or you could start with 65# and increase by 10 until fail on DL and maybe 35 and increase by 5 until fail on the FS.  That should keep everyone busy and out of mischief. 

7 comments:

  1. Saturday, 24 March 2012

    AM--No power in the gym!

    Crunches 25-20-15-10-5
    Air squats 20-16-12-8-4
    Pushups 15-12-9-6-3
    Lunges 10-8-6-4-2
    Burpees 5-4-3-2-1

    Ca: 10:52
    L: 11:12-ish
    Co: 11:20-ish (She subbed Burpees for pushups)

    I love this workout! You can do it anywhere and the numbers keep your brain engaged.

    PM-Team WOD at the track

    300 m out/300 m back-Max burpees (L: 30/B:35)
    Same-Max pushups (L: 55/B: 110)
    Same-Max crunches (L: 90/B: 85)
    Same-Plank
    Same-Burpees (L: 25/B:35). (This was supposed to be air squats, but my brain stopped working and I thought Brian was taking off for another round so I defeatedly was playing along!)

    37:23 Total . . . and I thought we could do 2 RFT. Holy crap, the wind was SO powerful--it was awesome on the way out, but dreadful on the way back. We intended to do 200 out/200 back but the distance was longer. I ran anywhere from 3:40-4:00; Brian ran anywhere from 3:00-3:30. Great WOD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunday, 25 March 2012

    Handstand pushups--Pike pushups
    Ring dips--"Handles on the back of the back extension machine" dips
    Pushups

    Co: Minutes before me
    L: 14:45

    Wow, was I beat today. It was slow for sure. But we got to WOD in our new gym. Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. G: I think I'm going to like these people! You've got to dig people who will invite you in and truly make you feel welcome . . . without planning!

    Jenn: You were talking about that on your blog. Messy house? Whatever. Great times? Absolutely.

    More later! I'm off to a mass casualty . . . exercise, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess my parenting style would be described as a two fence approach...
    I can say "Sophia, stay inside the fence." and two fences will be in place. You can go beyond the first one, but you really start to think about the consequences, then the second fence seems to have greater influence with your actions.
    I'm not sure if it works yet, because shes two and a half years old and just wants to have fun, but its a work in progress.
    I am off to a mass hilarity, or better known as work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jonny, "two fencing" is a cool phrase. I do that with the girls to a certain extent but never had a cool name for it. You tell them "no this or that" but you really don't mind if they do that it is what you know lies beyond that you are trying to protect them from. It is funny, because leaving school everyday the girls will go ahead and their friend's Mom and I say "wait at the gate." Leaving the gate isn't what freaks me out, it is crossing the driveway that is another 150 yards past the gate. Nice idea Jonny. It is kind of like "don't use credit cards." It is a fine idea in itself, but what it really protects you from is running up massive debt elsewhere.

    Lisa, you will indeed like these folks. They did what I would like to think I am always capable of doing. . . they had an impromptu party. It was great fun. I need to try and return the favor. That will be a lot easier when you are here. I don't really have people over by myself. Putting on a gathering can be work. I have had several rounds of out of town guests, but those are all people that I have known long enough to be totally comfortable if they find a big Sierra turd on the floor. Ed did, and he cleaned it up. Anyway, I like open ended adventures and that was one for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love them and I haven't met them!

    I think I love Ed too. Finding poo on my floor - dog, cat, kid - is a normal occurrence around here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenn, the best part about him cleaning up the dog poop is that he might not have even told me about it except for one thing. I have been keeping a "guest book" for a little over 5 years now. Anyone that visits us gets a chance to write in this journal. Whatever they want. Ed's entry he wrote a "list of firsts" for his visit. It included various firsts like being in California, playing disc golf and so forth. Also on that list was "clean up dog crap with a hangover." That is what I love about him. He did it and didn't make a big production among the 5 guys that were here. Just wrote it as a "funny story" later. What I found last night and yesterday morning was different. I am thinking I will use it as my story on the blog tonight though.

    ReplyDelete