Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Middle of February

Once every four years February has a middle day.  The rest of the time it is just two halves and the 15th is no different than any other day.  Not on leap year!  The 15th is special!  I think that the 15th of February is a lot like a person.  Most of us are nothing out of the ordinary most of the time.  Every once in a while we get to be special.  The flip side of that is usually we don't want the attention when the spotlight hits us.  Either we aren't ready, don't feel we deserve it or we simply want to say "hey, I am just one guy (or gal) like you."  No need to throw me a parade.  No need to kill the fatted calf.  It is easy to imagine that the 15th of February, when he is at the bar with all the other days, has to constantly remind the 26th of February and the 3rd of May that "hey, I am just another day like you man."  Sure, the 15th gets his admission to the club with the 16th of January, March, May, July, August, October and December.  But he really doesn't feel he belongs with those folks even though they always welcome him when he arrives once every four years.  He belongs with January 11 or March 9 or October 30.  He doesn't want the hub-bub that comes with being one of his front-running relatives February 14 or February 2.

So what is my point?  We are all just one person.  We all have a unique identity at the same time.  We are one of many, but also just one of one.  That is pretty special.  The only thing that changes is how others view us and sometimes how we view ourselves.  It is important to remember that every one of us is just as special as any other person.  Don't believe the hype. . . nobody is anymore important than anyone else.  You just have a different web.  A different network.  To the people that are closest to you, you mean everything.  To those who know you, you mean a lot.  Never got caught up in comparing yourself to anybody else.  The job of February 15 is to be the best February 15th it can be every year. . . not just leap year.  Don't get me started about February 29. . . he is like that recidivist uncle that everyone pretends doesn't exist.  But I digress.  Our job is to our best every day.  There is always someone faster, stronger, fitter.  Our job is to make ouselves better.  Let's honor February 15th!

WOD
5 Rounds for Time
10 Overhead Squats
15 Pullups
20 Situps

Post time to comments if you will, please.

1 comment:

  1. Good morning, all.

    I am in a funk. Utter funk. So funky in fact that I wanted to drive right off the base and keep going. (The thought was fleeting, but I actually considered it.)

    I have been eating like crap--Paleo Diet is out the window. I feel like crap, too, and I know it's directly related to my piss-poor diet. And what do I do about it? Eat ice cream. Whew.

    I'll be traveling for the next few days so I'm hoping that will help "set me straight." I need a change in attitude, motivation, eating habits, workout habits, ALL OF IT!

    See you in a few days.

    ReplyDelete