Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Lion or Lamb?

So how is March coming in where you live?  More importantly how are YOU coming into March?  Are you going to be a lion or a lamb? 

Being a lion doesn't necessarily mean that you have to be super intense and tear yourself up.  The focus of a lion is what we are after.  Be focussed on your goals and pursue them as a big cat pursues its meal.  The lion is the hunter and the lamb is the hunted.  There are those that are improving and those who are not.  We want to be among those that are improving.  Progress takes time.  Anything worth working towards is going to take long periods of focussed and intense effort.  What doesn't seem possible today will be routine tomorrow if you begin applying yourself right now. 

So, we have had some hiccups with our Paleo Challenge.  That is okay.  I am very proud of everyone following our program on this here blog because we all could have simply hidden from one another.  The purpose of community is not just accountability but also support.  We support one another.  If we stumble and fall we help each other back up and maybe help brush the dirt of our backsides.  Not only that, but we recognize that we may not all have the same goals.  We may not have the same reasons for doing what we do.  Speaking personally, I have many varied reasons for doing Crossfit.  One of which is that I believe very simply that I would be lost without it at this point. 

Here is the Greg Glassman "Crossfit in 100 words" quote:
From CrossFit HQ:
"Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar. Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat. Practice and train major lifts: Deadlift, clean, squat, presses, C&J, and snatch. Similarly, master the basics of gymnastics: pull-ups, dips, rope climb, push-ups, sit-ups, presses to handstand, pirouettes, flips, splits, and holds. Bike, run, swim, row, etc, hard and fast. Five or six days per week mix these elements in as many combinations and patterns as creativity will allow. Routine is the enemy. Keep workouts short and intense. Regularly learn and play new sports."
There is nothing in there that says "eat Paleo" or "Follow the Zone Diet."  Those are simply diets that are compatible with Crossfit.  Evidence suggests that those diets enhance performance, but there is a lot of performance gain out there for all of us before we reach the point where our diet is the only thing holding us back. 
So. . . .if you want to keep going Paleo, feel free.  I am going to see it through until Easter.  If you don't that is cool too.  I am going to continue putting up 5 WODs per week and if you want to work in a 6th day I would fill that day with "sport."  Run, bike, swim, hike, play basketball, hockey, football, soccer. . . wrestle with your kids, punch someone in the nose. 
The WOD for tomorrow:
For Time
10 Thrusters
20 Sumo Deadlift High Pull
30 Front Squats
40 Kettlebell Swings
50 Pushups
Try to maintain a weight straight across the first three movements.  I am going to shoot for 75 or 95 I think.  The 20 SDHP at 95 is the only thing that worries me. 
If you don't have weights, you can do all of these movements holding a block, rock or log.  If no kettlebell I would suggest subbing in a squat clean of that other object from the floor to your chest.
Any questions feel free to hit me up.  Lisa, not even a comment on the GHD and weights?  Jeez Louise.

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE the 'if you aren't failing, your aren't trying hard enough' mantra. I own it now. :)

    I am disappointed that surfing didn't make your sport list. Shame!

    In my ideal world I will eat paleo-ish and CF workout with Spence 5 days a week, surf three and run two. Now, just to make some of that happen...

    As a side note, I would really life some cookies, ice cream or chips right now. I have none of that in my house. The most unhealthy snack I could find was organic chick peas. HAHAHA. It made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gary: Who's Louise? Remember: I am in Afghanistan and sometimes pictures that you can see, I can't. I read this post and I couldn't figure out what you were talking about. They popped up today!

    Jenn: Where is this "Ideal World" you speak of? Take me there. . . . (See rant on Leap Day.) How were the chick peas?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenn, I feel so neglectful for not mentioning surfing. That is a perfect 6th day activity as the pinnacle of the Crossfit pyramid is "sport" and surfing is indeed a sport.

    Today I am running and there is a Dr. Seuss celebration at the school and Gwen needs fillings. So after my run, the chances of getting the WOD in today is going to be low. I will make it up on Saturday though and get my point then. Maybe if I went and did all that instead of dorking around on the internet I would get it in. To be fair, I paid the electric bill so it isn't all frivolous. It is unbelievable to me that our water bill is higher than the electric. I try to conserve both but it is the dark part of the year and I am still keeping the electric bill down even though the kids leave every light in the house on. Water rates just jumped up a bunch though. Unreal. I want to drill a well. Paying for water. . . pfft. If people didn't waste so much of it we wouldn't need to buy it. The reason it costs money is to make people think about it. Can you imagine if we didn't pay for it? All the fresh water would be gone by now. I wish the world at large would think more. I need to check the rates. I might be able to buy bottled water cheaper. I drink a gallon and a half a day. When I time it right I shower every other day. I usually skip Saturday showers unless I have to see other people. It isn't gross. . . it is environmentally responsible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Change of plans. Tessie crawled into her bed so I did the WOD in the garage. Funny thing is my fear of multiple weights was nonsense. I have another bar!

    11:31
    95# thrusters
    75# SDHP (probably should have gone 85)
    95# Front Squats (I tried to do it in three sets to get to 30 but had to stop at 27 and do a 4th)
    53# KBS (too heavy after all that squatting)
    Then the pushups. My chest still burns as I am typing. I was hoping to get under 11 minutes, but my chest wasn't up to the task. I should have shaved the seconds elsewhere. I need to work on my cardio I think. CVRE. Cardiovascular and Respiratory Endurance. One the ten general physical skills of Crossfit. More running will take care of that. I am going to embark on some Crossfit Endurance two days a week. Maybe I will work a WOD in here once in a while.

    Shower and off to the madness.

    Charles called me today to see if we are still coaching soccer together. I am off to sign up Ione tomorrow. I don't know about Gwen. I think Crossfit Kids will be her thing for now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenn, your comment on snacks hit home tonight. I am so hungry most nights. I should just go to bed. I have a lot of Girl Scout cookies around, but I don't eat them. I have loads of fruit, but try to not eat pounds of it. I need to come up with some vegetable type snacks. I don't even know why I am hungry. Today for instance I ate macadamia nuts and an orange for breakfast. I ate steak and and an apple for a snack. I ate chicken and grapes for a meal. I ate 3 eggs with green peppers in them. Dried apricots, almonds and more macadamia nuts plus Tessie's half eaten apple. I am pretty sure I shouldn't be hungry, yet I am. So, I sit here thankful that I don't have something too tempting to pass up. The cookies are unopened and if I were to open them the girls would call me on it. They are my conscience sometimes. If it isn't Sunday, Gwen will ask "Daddy why are you eating 'x'?"

    ReplyDelete