Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Eleven Questions

Okay, so Kevin tagged me to do this "blog" challenge.  Crap.  I fashion myself a "non-blogger that keeps a blog" but I like Kevin, so I will play along. 

I am one of 11 he tagged, and I am supposed to tag 11.  I don't read 11 blogs unless you count the various Crossfit affiliates whose cyberspace I haunt, but I doubt they would appreciate this as they are "strictly business" and I am more of a whimsical trainer.  I don't think that there are eleven people who even read this one.  So here is what I will do.  I know that Jonny, Fish and Jenn keep blogs, so I will tag you and anyone else who reads this and keeps a blog or knows someone who keeps a blog.  I am going to throw a little wrinkle into this and ask that anyone reading this blog answer the 11 questions I post after answering those assigned to me in the comments. 

Here goes.  In yellow below are the questions Kevin sent me.  My answers follow.

  1. Which movie best describes your life?I don't know if it is true or not, but I would like to think "Rocky Balboa."  I am not a boxer, but I am a crazy old man that still thinks he can do the things he did years ago.  I also like the idea of not backing down from any challenge.  There are some others I could choose, but this is as good as any. 
  2. What is your favorite comic strip? Peanuts.  Charles Schultz sealed the deal being from Minnesota.
  3. Who or what is your favorite Star Wars character? Han Solo.  I too am a scruffy looking nurfurter.  I do dig Yoda's wisdom though.
  4. What song can you listen to over and over ad over? Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash "Girl from the North Country"
  5. Are your farts loud, silent but deadly or in between? When my diet is on, neither.  When I eat like crap I am toxic and volume doesn't really matter does it? 
  6. Who is your favorite stand up comic? George Carlin, then Adam Sandler but Louis C.K. is pretty funny.
  7. If you were stranded in the desert and your wagon lost a wheel, how many pancakes would it take to cover a dog house? Damned if I know.
  8. Are you allergic to anything? Shrimp.
  9. What is your ideal vehicle? Bicycle, or my own two feet.
  10. Would you put one of those ridiculous stick figure families on your ideal vehicle?   I don't do tattoos.
  11. If we were to look in your browser history what would we find in the top ten? Sports sites, fitness sites, Facebook, email, news, Youtube. . . nothing exciting. 
So my eleven questions for all of you and for myself, to be answered in the comments. . . with two minutes rest between each question.

1.  How many pushups can you do in 2 minutes?
2.  How many situps can you do in 2 minutes?
3.  How many squats can you do in 2 minutes?
4.  How many pullups can you do in 2 minutes?
5.  How many burpees can you do in 2 minutes?
6.  How many double unders can you do in 2 minutes? 
7.  How many box jumps can you do in 2 minutes?
8.  How many lunges can you do in 2 minutes?
9.  How many handstand pushups can you do in 2 minutes?
10.  How many dips can you do in 2 minutes?
11.  What is your favorite beer?

9 comments:

  1. I would prefer yellow or red for the WOD text, but Gwen says "purple." She is going to answer all 11 questions with me tomorrow, so I hope you all do too. Gwen doesn't have a favorite beer, but loves to smell it and she loves Stone Brewing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Purple isn't a bad color...and gosh, I feel special Gary, you like me,you really like me.

    Again I deeply apologize, but I didn't have 11 blogs I read either....so that's why I didnt skip you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin, are you going to answer my questions? It is fun, I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I shuffled the order to put some of the tougher movements early and the "normal everyday" stuff late. Turns out I probably cost myself some reps as I nearly vomitted doing pushups and that definitely slowed me down the rest of the way. I had exactly one minute between each 2 minute set so the whole thing took 29 minutes.

    In order:
    Handstand Pushups--17
    Pullups--28
    Box Jumps--31
    Double Unders--40 (never more than 3 in a row)
    Burpees--26
    Lunges--62 (should have put these between dips and pushups)
    Dips--47
    Pushups--36 Yuck.
    Situps--53 Ugh.
    Squats--65

    Total Reps= 415
    Looking at those numbers I should theoretically be able to come up with a "sub-20" Angie time. We'll see.

    Gwen ditched me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The gym is closed 4 days this weekend so I'm going to work this in one of those days.

    Day 2 at the gym.

    10 to 1
    Squats with barbell (I used PVC, but I squatted 'til my bum hit a medicine ball which is huge improvement for me!)
    Clean pushes with barbell (Is that what they are called when you push from shoulders to straight overhead without any thrust or squat? I used two 10 pound dumbbells.)
    Inverted rows (I subbed pull-ups most rounds to keep moving and not get jammed up behind someone. Two bands. Very good effort for me.)
    Plus knees to elbows, hold for 30 secs, plank 40 secs, side plank each side 15 secs once at the end.

    I <3 crossfit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hurt and it feels good to know I'm doing some work. Greg didn't puke. I peed my pants.
    I almost forgot the best part. After a year of trying I FINALLY did double unders. Woot! Woot!
    Staying hydrated after 4 kids in 3 years and leaning double unders = pee pants. I'm good with that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenn, Shoulder press. From the shoulder to overhead with no dip.

    Congratulations on Double Unders. I used to work in the basement in Kansas so nobody could see me look stupid. I need some practice again though. I busted my other jump rope handle today so it is really time for a new one. I had been able to function with one busted handle. . . not two. Don't feel bad about the end result. You birthed one more kid than Lisa albeit with the same number of pregnancies and she has similar issues. I just realized I might be in trouble for writing that. Maybe she will miss it while in transit. People used to puke in the lawn at Iron Major last year, so some wet shorts isn't going to upset anyone. If someone has you hitting a medicine ball then it sounds like at least you are getting some coaching.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The coaching is fabulous! There is someone with us the whole time. One instructor, ten peeps in the class. Plus another instructor on the floor helping out. Really fabulous.

    Yep, shoulder press. Thanks.

    I may have talked my super fit athlete brother into joining us. That could be really cool. :)

    ReplyDelete