Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Nitrites and Nitrates

So as I continue my slow creep, it is more like a surrender, despite the fact that I know it is better for me and my family I am always on the lookout for a way to feed everyone better food without paying exorbitant prices. 

So this next little story was a HUGE surprise.  I found some coupons for Oscar Mayer Naturals.  I wasn't sure what they meant, but I had high hopes.  So I checked it out and lo and behold the bacon and the hot dogs are free of nitrites and nitrates and are uncured.  Cool. 

Now I know that hot dogs are still probably not the best option, but the kids love them and I have only bought them once since our wandering/camping excursion last summer.  The bacon has to be good, right?  With my coupons I only paid $2.50 per package of bacon (they aren't pounds anymore--12 ounce) and 1.99 for the hot dogs.  Just to add some fun I bought one package of Chicago recipe and one package of New York style and I plan to do a "taste test" for the kids to see who wins. 

I know that hot dogs and bacon are not really newsworthy, but the fact that this whole healthy eating thing has companies the size of Oscar Mayer thinking this way is very exciting.  Imagine what another ten years will bring if we can stop getting fat and start getting fit? 

The WOD:

Run 5 miles
Every quarter mile do 10 pushups. 

Post time to comments.

1 comment:

  1. Curses!

    I ran five miles but no pushups. I should have read the whole WOD. I'll do my 73 burpees later today.

    I am tired.

    ReplyDelete