Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Graduating

Today Ione's teacher called me in after school.  She was thrilled with our Field Day, but wanted to talk with me again about Ione's writing.  She has come along with her reading and other things and I was informed she will graduate to first grade.  There is concern with her writing though as she will need to do more of it.  So now I have another project.  My crash course and intensive reading program will shift to writing.  Her teacher is phenomenal and I was honestly okay with her doing kindergarten again if she could stay in her class.  But first grade will make her happy as she has great friends and all those parents will be a nice circle for us to stay with. 

At the same time she again wanted to thank Lisa for her service and praised the job I have done with three girls by myself.  I admitted that I feel I could have done better, but I did the best I could at the moments along the way.  I always want to have done more.  I always want to do more.  Crossfit, running, child rearing. . . I want to live up to my own expectations. 

Tonight I am carrying around some weird guilt about a toilet that I can't unclog.  Tessie flushes entire rolls of toilet paper and this time the toilet won't drain.  I can't plunge it.  I can't snake it with the makeshift coathanger.  So tomorrow it is off to the hardware store for reinforcements.  I hope this isn't my "bad luck" Kevin posted about.  If the toilet is the whole of it I will take that though.  I am hoping it slowly drains overnight so I can assess the situation tomorrow.  I think I might be getting sick to boot.  I felt bad yesterday and today.  Working in a cesspool of a bathroom is not making it better. 

Field Day was a smashing success.  Ione's class dominated the long jump, which I took great pride in as that was the one thing I had an effect on with coaching.  They finished second in the relay, which I attribute to the hundreds of miles they have done at Running Club.  We are trying to push so every child earns at least a medal at the end of year ceremony.  Some are going to come up short, but many will get a medal and quite a few ran even more and will get a trophy.  Two more months of kindergarten.  I will have to start dropping the girls off to run alone on Tuesday and Thursday so I can make it to the gym for 9 AM.  Life evolves however and they have had my support every day this year.  Gwen and Ione will each reach the 100 mile mark and Tessie is nearing the 50 mile mark (47.25 as of today). 

In honor of all that running the WOD for tomorrow:

Run 5 miles for time.

9 comments:

  1. I'm sorry...I didn't mean to jinx you Gary....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to blame it on you as I vividly remember your tale of your kids requiring you to plunge the toilet regularly. This one isn't responding to plunging. It will be an interesting day today I am sure. If I get the toilet fixed I am hoping to make the 3rd grade Field Day today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to give up the fight on the toilet and went to field day. I am going to have call roto-rooter I am afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have gone to the field day myself and dealt with the clogged crapper later, speaking of which, is it a one toilet house? If so, then yeah the plug needs to be unplugged....

    By the way..I apologize in advance but I thought you needed a goofy ice breaker game...so tag you're it on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, we have four crappers so the whole motivation for fixing is based on the fact that it seems really unhealthy and that it is in the "jack and jill" bathroom between the two youngest girls. Believe me, I have had moments of weakness when I thought to myself "I don't really need that toilet to work. I can wait and see if the TP breaks down." The plumber comes at 9 AM tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm. My blog story was also about a toilet today. It is one of those days!

    My motivation for paying for a gun is two fold. 1. I have child care here and I CAN go to the gym. 2. I need a pro to teach me the skills.

    Today was day 1 and it was perfect. We learned a bit. We warmed up. We WODed. And we had a little competition, 4 lengths of the gym pushing a barbell weight. Best time wins. I came in last. Ah well.

    WOD
    10-8-6-4-2
    Sled push
    Squats (best form I've ever had)
    Pushups (very snakey but off my knees
    Situps (easy)
    Pullups (not bad, I need a band for home)
    14 minutes

    My brother puked his guts out afterwards. Silly college kids.

    I wasn't nervous and I wasn't mortified by the two beginner pip squeak high school boys that kicked my butt the whole time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Jen,

      Thanks for the clarification--I was so confused. . . .

      Delete
  8. Jenn: Your rat story is horrifying. Absolutely horrifying. . . .

    ReplyDelete