Monday, May 21, 2012

Field Day

Okay, so I was volunteered to be the Field Day coordinator for either Ione's class or the whole kindergarten.  I don't actually know.  Information from "the top" is sparse.  I have assembled a crack squad of parents (read those I talk to the most so it was easiest to get them to volunteer).  The mom who was supposed to do refreshments ended up in the hospital, for what I don't know but being hospitalized when you are not having a baby at our age is serious.  So I was pressed into action of securing refreshments, when Ernie, one of the other dad's who frequents the school and in fact does an awful lot of volunteer work in the classroom, says to me "I am going to Costco anyway, I will pick it up."  Awesome.  I am going to have to write "thank yous" after this as these folks are making it too easy for me.  Anyway, the girls and I picked up some oranges and grapes and Ernie has the rest.  I bring the coolers of ice. 

So while shopping for fruit at Sprout's, which is like a whole foods/farmer's market, the girls asked for spinach and heirloom tomatoes for dinner.  Sold.  We mixed in some cottage cheese and crackers and that was our "dinner" today. 

Tessie and I toured what will be her new preschool today.  She is very excited and asked me to drop her off on our way home from the gym today.  No separation anxiety to deal with.  She won't start for a few weeks and I am just hoping to pick up enough hours to pay her tuition.  I am hoping my wages are adjusted for San Diego like the tuition is.  On the plus side, I mentioned that she wouldn't start until "after Mom comes home from Afghanistan" and I was notified of the 10% military discount.  I am falling into all sorts of good luck today.  That is my life though.  Fraught with good luck.  We keep the hard work quiet and it makes everything "look" easy. 

Another tell of our good fortune:  Tessie's storytime teacher, who had us over several times since Lisa left including Thanksgiving after I got stitches, volunteered to take the girls for a weekend so Lisa and I could have a "weekend getaway" after she has been back a while and is ready for a childless outing.  What good fortune I have!  I finalized my work schedule at the gym and taught Crossfit Kids this afternoon.  Even Tessie and Ione were doing thrusters and pullups in the "kid version of 'Fran.'"  Great day. 

Now on to Field Day tomorrow and hopefully more great times. 

The WOD:

Row 500 meters
20 Deadlifts
Run 600 Meters
20 Deadlifts
Row 500 Meters
20 Thrusters
Run 600 Meters
20 Thrusters

Post time to comments. 

If this looks familiar it is what I did today.  Tomorrow I will do what you did today.

4 comments:

  1. You know, I have learned that with good fortune a rain of not so fun stuff can happen...of course you are one of a kind Gary, so you might luck out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know. I think I have had my share of bad luck if you choose to view it that way. I choose not to, and just see the bad things as "part of life." Maybe that helps me to maintain my rosy world view. I count the good stuff for much more than I count the bad stuff. I learned some time ago, that you can always overcome the bad stuff. The good stuff is what makes all the hard work worth it. I had thousands of dollars in car repairs and vet bills not long ago, but those things are part of life. People showing kindness and helping you out are far more valuable acts. I guess my sentence of "keep the hard work quiet" sums it all up best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Give and you shall receive. Ten fold. You give much Gary! And I love that you receive with such gratitude.

    I paid $50 today to join a CF gym through my 2 month mainland adventure. I'm trying to figure out the class schedule. I may just pop in tomorrow if I can't get it together before then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. $50 for two months is great! I guess I wouldn't really know though as San Diego prices are surely high. I never took advantage of the many Crossfit gyms we passed on our trip last summer. I never had the chutzpah to pull the "I am a level 1 trainer, will you let me train free today" thing that they tell us is the way most affiliates operate for folks on vacation or travel. I kind of like the challenge of making up my own workout with what I have. I remember doing "stump cleans" with the kids on the shore of Yellowstone Lake and that to me is worth a lot more than having cut out time from Lisa and the kids to workout in Jackson Hole or Bend, Oregon. I do know of a few affiliates on the east coast my parents have mentioned when we get back that way to visit. I remember doing WODs in my Aunt and Uncles yard with Lisa, stacking 150 bales of sawdust shavings, and running a loop my uncle told me was "about 7 miles" that was more like 10. I guess I like adventure.

    ReplyDelete