Saturday, December 17, 2011

Crossfit Kids Day 1

So today was day 1 of my Crossfit Kids seminar.  Remarkable is all I can say.  We did a couple of activities that were like working out.  We played Crossfit dodgeball. . . awesome.  We played Crossfit baseball as teams in an AMRAP format where each round was a run.  To get to first base was two forward rolls.  Second base was 10 "super slow squats" the idea being to check technique.  Third base was 10 tuck jumps and home was 10 Knees to Elbows and then the run back to the start.  I got three rounds plus the forward rolls in the 5-7 minutes or whatever it was.  There was some waiting in line for forward rolls and waiting for "cage space" for KTE, but overall my intensity was very good.

Ione just came down to me and said, "I will do some workouts if you give me an orange."  Tempting, Ione. 

At the end of the day of the seminar there was beer.  At my level 1 I was pleased to find some Boulevard.  I wasn't so lucky today.  The ice chest was chock-a-block full of Coors light, Bud light, Michelob Ultra, Bud Light Lime and Corona.  I muscled down a Bud Light to be social and chat with folks, but that was probably the hardest thing I did all day. . . including fast KTE

Don't Crossfitters know about good beer?  I am sure some do. . . I think it is a splurge worth making.  Just do some extra burpees.

2 comments:

  1. I hope Day 2 was a great as Day 1!

    So what happened with Ione? You piqued my interest.

    Did you take some good beer to Day 2? Maybe some of your own? Self-promotion, my friend. I know you're good at it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't give her the orange, but the girls are somewhat bought in on "Pennell Project Paleo."

    California chicken for dinner was close. They ate vegetables, fruit and turkey for lunch. We need to work on cleaning up breakfast. At our seminar they told us you shouldn't "Zone a kid" until they have achieved max performance and they are coming to you to ask how to get 5 extra pounds or shave 10 seconds off of their "Fran" time. Until they are working hard enough at fitness to know they need to do more, their eating should be about macronutrients and reasonable portions. The girls and I (they don't know it yet) are stealing one of the ideas from Brand X. As a warmup they are going to be given a paper plate and a marker. They will go to the bottom of the squat position while we talk about food and portions. They will draw "compartments" on their plates to reinforce the idea of "what to eat" and "how much of it to eat."

    I have to admit I regretted my purchase of Goldfish from Santa when during the nutrition lecture Todd said "we see Mom and Dad killing it in the gym and then they walk over to their kids and feed them Goldfish crackers." I know you have been on me about the kids diet, but Crossfit shoves it in your face. . . "you buy the food." I get it, I get it. We are in transition mode now. I won't throw food away. It won't take them long to dust the Goldfish. I have vowed to pack meat with no bread. Fruit and veggies. I won't do nuts and seeds due to allergies at school. I am going to let them "have at it" on Sunday with the crackers, chips, carbs, ice cream and learn for themselves how much better they feel when they are eating well and working out. I know that does it for me. I feel phenomenal when the diet is locked in and the WODs are intense. The past few days for example. . . I feel like Superman. Now to look into some equipment for the garage.

    ReplyDelete